The Republic of Maldives has declared a health emergency due to the outbreak of a new coronavirus, the Maldives Health Protection Agency (HPA) said. "In accordance with the special powers granted to the Ministry of Health by the law on public health [...], the minister declared a public health emergency for a period of 30 days starting March 12, 2020," the department said on Twitter. The local Sun Online publication notes that so far eight cases of coronavirus infection have been detected in the Maldives: foreigners who work or relax in local resorts fell ill. The publication adds that under the current legislation, authorities during emergency situations can close schools and prohibit public events. The head of the Ministry of Health, Maldives, Abdullah Amin, made this decision after WHO called the spread of COVID-19 a pandemic and because of the rapid spread of the virus in the world and neighboring countries. On March 11, the World Health Organization announced the outbreak of the new coronavirus COVID-19 as a pandemic. About 120 thousand people in more than 100 countries have already been infected in the world, most have recovered, but more than 4 thousand have died.
Source of information: RIA Novosti